Home
Map Page
Page Index
What's New
Shop
Contact Us

 

High Street

Merthyr Tydfil

 

 

Click Here to See a Collection of Photographs

of Merthyr Town in the 1960's before major alterations.

 

 

<Click on the photograph to Enlarge>

 

 

High Street.

(Photograph Courtesy of Mrs. Gill Thomas)

 

 

George's Barber Shop

(Photograph Courtesy of George Black's daughter Elaine Rose)

 

 

Webleys - Radio, Television & Electrical shop. Here you could have your accumulators (batteries)

 charged to ensure that your wireless kept going to hear Jet Morgan's  "Journey Into Space".

MerthyrTydfil_Town_16HighStreet_WebleysRadioStores_MrWebley.JPG (96858 bytes)

Upper High Street. - in the 1920's

Hasn't changed much to this day. Imperial Hotel on the right. The' in'  place to be on weekends

in the 1960's

MerthyrTydfil_HighStreet_Pontmorlais.JPG (115600 bytes)

 

The Tiger Livery Stables.

(On the site now occupied by the Imperial Hotel)

That's why it was called the Tiger.

   

1890 Advert for the

TIGER LIVERY STABLES

 
 

 
 

 

Pontmorlais circa 1910.

  

John Lewis and Co Ltd

MerthyrTydfil_Pontmorlais_Pontmorlais_JohnLewisAndCo.JPG (101325 bytes)

 

CLICK HERE

FOR MORE

JOHN LEWIS & Co.

 

 

Welsey Methodist Chapel

Later a furniture store and now 'Pontmorlais Old Circus' market.

               

 

For More Photographs

of Wesley Chapel

Click Here

 
 

T.F.Vining Glass and China Dealer, No12 Pontmorlais.  - 1900.

(Next door down to Wesley Chapel)

Tom Vining standing in doorway.

(Photograph courtesy of Tim Morgan, Tom Vining's Great Grandson)

 

Harris & Sons Photographers, No 13 Pontmorlais.

This is Rolf Harris' Grandfather's studio, this photograph was taken in 1946.

Pontmorlais

(Postcard Courtesy Of The Leo Davies Collection)

 

MerthyrTydfil_Town_PontmorlaisBuildings_LeoDaviesCollection.JPG (157146 bytes)

Click Here

To Visit

F.W. Bray & Sons

 

 

 
High Street - Blind Institute.

 

Seidals Pawnbrokers

This site was eventually occupied by the Welsh Dairy.

The gentleman on the doorstep is probably the manager Arthur John Smith

(Photograph Courtesy of John Smith, Arthur's grandson)

 
The Cobden Coffee Tavern.

 

High Street in the 1920/30's

Does anyone know what the occasion is?

(Photograph courtesy Dr. T. F. Holly)

 
Next Door Down to Toomey's, at one time was The John Bright Refreshment Rooms.

 
Gay & Son - 97 High Street.

 
Humphrey's the Ironmongers.

MerthyrTydfil_Town_HighStreet_2_Harris&Son_LeoDaviesCollection.JPG (136211 bytes)

Ye Old Express, with the Hancock's Greys and Dray.

(Photograph courtesy of Dr. T.F.Holley)

   

Ye Olde Express in the 1970s

 

 
 
The Vulcan Inn, High Street 1946

 
Upper High Street in the 1950's

MerthyrTydfil_Town_UpperHighStreet_1955_FrancisFrith.JPG (111729 bytes)

 

The Berni Brothers' Berni Inn - 13 Pontmorlais

(From the Merthyr Express)

 
The Electric Theatre.

High Street.

The building on the right is the original Castle Hotel, demolished in the mid 1920's 

to make way for the Castle Cinema.

 

The original Hope Chapel from Castle Street, with the Castle Hotel to the Left.

The photograph was taken in the early 1890s, note the Town Hall has yet to be built.

 

Now the New Hope Chapel, this photograph taken in the late 1800s, before

the Town Hall was built.

 
 

     
Click here to see

more of

Hope Chapel

 

A later photograph of Hope Chapel.

The Town Hall

MerthyrTownHall.JPG (129998 bytes)

The Original Castle Hotel

The Castle Cinema now stands here.This hotel was the site of the 1831 riots 

after which Dic Penderyn was hung for the alleged charge of killing a soldier.

  

MerthyrTydfil_HighStreet_CastleHotel.JPG (120314 bytes)
The Castle Cinema In 1956. 
  MerthyrTydfil_Town_HighStreet_CastleCinema_1956.JPG (128151 bytes)    

CLICK HERE

 FOR MORE 

 

CASTLE CINEMA

PHOTOGRAPHS

 
 
Johnson's The Dyers, more or less where the Dic Penderyn is now.

 

Reading the Incorporation Charter at the Town Hall July 10th 1905.

(Postcard courtesy of the Leo Davies Collection)

  The Town Hall

   

CLICK HERE

FOR MORE 

 

TOWN HALL POSTCARDS

AND PHOTOGRAPHS

 

Henry Seymour Berry, Baron Buckland Of Bwlch, 

Honorary freeman of the County Borough of Merthyr Tydfil

Born 17th September 1877 Died 23rd May 1928

 

Note the Library has not yet been built.

MerthyrTydfil_Town_HighStreet_HenrySemourBerry_KenGunter_LynneOwen.jpg (134478 bytes)

The Library At Night.

(Postcard Courtesy Of The Leo Davies Collection.)

  MerthyrTydfil_Town_TheLibrary_LeoDaviesCollection.JPG (112966 bytes)
     
 

CLICK HERE

TO

VISIT THE

 LIBRARY'S

WEB-SITE

 
     
 
 
 

The Library.

(Postcard courtesy of Gill Thomas, West Grove.)

 

The Library

(Photograph courtesy of Martin Sullivan)

 

High Street - Late 1960's

(From the Merthyr Express)