Map Page
Page Index
What's New
Contact Us


High Street

Merthyr Tydfil


Click Here to See a Collection of Photographs

of Merthyr Town in the 1960's before major alterations.

<Click on the photograph to Enlarge>

St. David's Church, not long after being built in the Mid 1800's


The Drinking Fountain outside St. David's Church.

(Click on the photograph to read about the Fountain)




High Street the 11th Sept 1898 The Royal Welsh Fusiliers (The Old 23rd)

On their farewell parade to Divine Service at St David's Church, they were stationed

here during the Great Strike..

MerthyrTydfil_HighStreet_StDavidsChurchParade11-9-1898_28thWelshFusiliers_DuringGreatStrike.JPG (177917 bytes)


St David's Church

(Photograph courtesy of Martin Sullivan)

Saint David's Church. Before the Library was built. (Postcard courtesy of Mrs Gill Thomas, West Grove.)
MerthyrTydfil_Town_HighStreet_StDavidsChurchAndTownHall.JPG (96613 bytes)

MerthyrTydfil_Town_HighStreet_StDavidsChurch_9.JPG (100901 bytes)


High Street in the 1950's.

On the extreme left of the picture is the Peter Pan Cafe.


  MerthyrTydfil_Town_HighStreet_Frith.JPG (186002 bytes)

The Peter Pan Cafe.


High Street March

(Photograph Courtesy of Colin Markham)


Another view of the High Street in the early 1900's.

(Photograph Courtesy of The Leo Davies Collection)

Lloyd's Bank - Early 1900's

TUC March by Lloyd's Bank - 1992

Pictured are Ted Rowlands, Peter Hain and Arthur Scargill.

(Photograph Courtesy of Dale Miles)


Wm Theophilus' High Class Fashion shops - 1946.

115-116 High Street, now the Halifax occupies 115.

Crosswoods Store. in the 1960's

MerthyrTydfil_Town_HighStreet_Crosswoods.JPG (210064 bytes)



John Colliers, The Fifty Shilling Tailors in the 1940's

Now the Cash Generator shop.


Billy Sticks.

Selling Sunday Papers, Outside John Colliers the Tailor shop in the 1990s. Sadly Billy passed away a few years ago.

(Photograph courtesy of Jamie Mahony)


     MerthyrTydfil_Town_HighStreet_JohnColliers .JPG (151913 bytes)                                                      
High Street. The shop on the left hand side was later to become H.W.SAMUEL the jewellers.

MerthyrTydfil_HighStreet.JPG (153650 bytes)

Looking up the High Street,  from  where Burtons stands now. No Town Hall, 

no Tram Lines, no Library. Probably taken in the early 1890's. 

MerthyrTydfil_Town_High Street_Circa1900.JPG (135650 bytes)

The Old Post Office, this site was later be occupied by H.W.Samuel the Jewellers.

W.H.Smith & Son - 1946.


By the entrance to John Street.

Burtons now stands on the corner.

A Busy Saturday, the photograph taken from the New Inn, in the 1940's, showing H.Samuel, 

Jewellers Shop.

Merthyrtydfil_Town_HighStreet_H-Samuel.JPG (172432 bytes)


Junction with John Street, in the early 1900's.



Junction with John Street, in the early 1900's.

The same scene in the 1960's.

Now the New Inn and Leslies Stores.

MerthyrTydfil_Town_HighStreet_LeslieStores.JPG (185194 bytes)

Sandbrook, on the site that is now occupied by the Natwest Bank.


High Street in the 1920's.

Samuels's has arrived.

( Postcard courtesy of Mrs Gill Thomas, West Grove).


High Street in Edwardian Times (look at the boater hats). The tram lines are visible so it must

 be after 1901.Notice the large finial on top of the town hall clock. 

(Postcard courtesy of Mrs Thomas, West Grove). 

MerthyrTydfil_Town_HighStreet_CliveBevan.JPG (139930 bytes)

Volunteers Inn.

High Street in the 60's

MerthyrHighStreet.JPG (85650 bytes)

The Cloth Hall,  this building occupied the site on which Leslie's Stores was built,

and was for a few years The Catalogue Bargain Shop, now it's a furniture shop (2015).

(Postcard Courtesy of Mrs Thomas, West Grove) 

MerthyrTydfil_Town_HighStreet_ClothHall_MrsThomas.JPG (170301 bytes)


High Street in 1903.

(Photograph courtesy of Greg Buick of the Gelligaer Historical Society)

High Street in the 1930's

On the Left hand Side is Rhymney Breweries Volunteer Arms, then Melias' the grocers and then Hancocks Breweries Kings Arms. Opposite is the Commercial Family Hotel, later owned by Besleys the auctioneers who let out the upstairs rooms for living  accommodation. The building was previously the Bentleys Temperance Hotel (see picture lower down). In the right foreground is a shop that later became Rosie Royals. 

(Postcard courtesy of Mrs Gill Thomas, West Grove)

MerthyrTydfil_LowerHighStreet_5.JPG (138495 bytes)


R. T. Jones & Co.

This store at one time occupied the site mentioned above that later became Rosie Royal's and

is now (2010) a 'Pound Shop'