Map Page
Page Index
What's New
Contact Us


High Street

Merthyr Tydfil


Click Here to See a Collection of Photographs

of Merthyr Town in the 1960's before major alterations.


Howfield's during the Blackout, World War 2.

Even the Gas window display lights have been removed.


Click Here for More Information

On Howfield & Sons



Another 60's view of the High street,

showing Woolworth's,  Howfield's, and James Radio House.

( Postcard courtesy of Mrs Gill Thomas, West Grove).

Golden Valley Butter, Docton's, The Gas Board Showrooms, 1967.

MerthyrTydfil_Town_LowerHighStreet_Jan1967.JPG (155836 bytes)



Ye Old Globe, in the 1950s.



High Street in the early 1900s.



Fine Fare Supermarket in the 1960's

Built on the site of Ye Old Globe.


MerthyrTydfil_Town_LowerHighStreet_FineFareSupermarket_1960s.JPG (120286 bytes)


Docton's Plumbers early 1900s.


High Street in the 1970's

Peacock's has taken the place of the Fine Fare Supermarket shown above


February 1916. This newsagents shop later became B.J.Price & Sons, now a Hairdressing Salon.

(Photograph courtesy of Geof Matsell)


Circa 1910

Circa 1930's

(Photograph Courtesy of Pam Jenkins)

MerthyrTydfil_Town_LowerHighStreet2.JPG (222727 bytes)


  Lower High Street Circa 1910.

 Showing the Court Arms, and few doors  up the Crawshays Arms, and on the right the Eagle.


MerthyrTydfil_Town_LowerHighStreet_Eagle.JPG (204941 bytes)

Lower High Street in the 1980s.


The Crown Inn, March 1981

(Photograph courtesy of Dennis Bennett O.B.E.)



The Angel Hotel and Three Salmons Inn.

  MerthyrTydfil_Town_LowerHighStreet_TheAngelHotel_andTheThreeSalmonsInn.JPG (217125 bytes)  


Click Here for

more on the

Angel Hotel

Wales Gas Board Showroom and Offices in the 1960s

27, High Street - Tommy Horton's Rubber Goods (Tommy in the Trilby Hat) - 1946


The Angel Inn, Broad Street.

Note: Peter Griffiths' the builder and undertaker, (Abermorlais Terrace) Ex-Army truck is shown in the foreground.

This shot from the graveyard of St. Tydfil's Church

shows the old Boot Inn, on the High Street.

This montage of three photographs show what you would have seen from the promenade outside the Parish Church in the 1960's, showing Conway's Dairies, Gittings China shop, and Tom Evans & Son (Bespoke Tailors).

ConwaysPic.jpg (204953 bytes)

Conways Dairies


Conway's took over the old Boot Hotel in the High Street,

This photograph taken in the early 1900s shows a delivery cart and staff outside the building


The Boot Inn

(Photograph courtesy of John Griffiths, Bath)

 Saint Tydfil's  (The Parish) Church.

MerthyrTydfil_ParishChurch_3.JPG (234799 bytes)

General view taken from the top of the Parish Church Tower

                       MerthyrGeneralViewFromTheParishChurchTower.JPG (379098 bytes)

Another view from the Parish Church Tower, looking up the High Street.

(Photograph courtesy of the Leo Davies Collection)

MerthyrTydfil_Town_FromTheParishChurch_Harris&Sons_LeoDaviesCollection.JPG (239092 bytes)

Looking up Lower High Street, the Parish Church on the left, the Angel Hotel can be seen in the distance.

                        MerthyrTydfil_Town_LowerHighStreet_NichollsCashGrocers.JPG (265053 bytes)


Similar shot as above, but 70 or so years later.

(Photograph courtesy of John Davies, St Tydfil's Avenue)


Sterling Frozen Foods.


Click Here For More

Pictures of Sterling

Frozen Foods





To The Map Page