Treharris is Harris’s
town, named after Harris who owned the Navigation Colliery here
and the village that grew up after the sinking of the colliery
took his name.
Places Names Of Treharris
TWYNYGARREG - meaning hillock of stone.
This was the original name for the district. The first houses
built here were huts for the ‘colliery sinkers’, they were
called Twynygarreg Cottages, but have always been known locally
as the Huts. There were 32 of these houses. The monthly rent
was 7s 8d, each hut had a large kitchen and 2 bedrooms. There
was a commercial bakery. The 1st school lessons and
religious services were held in the huts.
CILHAUL - Welsh for a sunset or a shady
PRITCHARD STREET - Named after Colonel
Pritchard the owner of Llancaiach Fawr, a grand house which
Charles I was supposed to have visited.
FELL STREET - Named after either Lydia
or Margaret Fell both
PENN STREET - Named after William Penn an
FOX STREET - Another Quaker name.,
RAILWAY TERRACE – This backed onto the
railway line, which forked at the end, one half going into Deep
Navigation Colliery and the other going to Trelewis and beyond
on the Taff Vale/Great Western Lines.
PERROTT STREET - Could be named after Sir
SUSANNAH PLACE - Probably after the
daughter of Margaret and Thomas Fell.
THOMAS STREET – Possibly after Judge
Thomas Fell, husband of Margaret Fell
PANTANAS ESTATE - These large area was
passed on from Mary Chapman to Lydia Fell and the burial ground
was taken from a piece of the land.
PROSSER STREET - Could have been named
after Josiah Prosser, a Calvinistic Methodist leader or a
Councillor and business man in Treharris, David Prosser.
MARY STREET - Mary Fisher was an
Important Dates For Treharris
In September 1872 the 1st
level is opened and by 1879 Deep Navigation fully operating.
Between 1873 to 1914 over 110 died in accidents underground;
deaths were of colliers, door boys, hauliers, labourers,
repairers and others. December 13th 1884 4 sinkers
were killed in an accident ( altogether 6 colliery sinkers were
killed in the sinking of the Colliery in Treharris ).
1891-92 Treharris Athletic F.C. won the
South Wales and Monmouth Cup.
In May 1893 the Place Cinema was opened
for over a hundred years.
In 1895 The Salvation Army 1st
came to Treharris
St. Mathias Parish Church is built
control of Harris’ Colliery passed to David Davies’s
Ocean Coal Company
October 1909 was a red letter day in the
history of Treharris with the opening of the Public Free
Library. The Mayor, Andrew Wilson who lived within a short
distance from the building performed the ceremony. The Library
was built on a plot of land in Perrott Street given by the
freeholders from the designs prepared by William Dowdeswell,
1923 The Treharris Boys’ Club was founded
In the 1930s there were ‘Stay Down
Strikes’ and the ‘Red Flag’ was sung in Treharris to welcome
back the people imprisoned because of The Taff Merthyr Riots.
1950-51 Treharris Athletic F.C. were the
Welsh amateur cup winners.
July 1952 The impressive tribe of Treharris
Indians won 1st prize at the Open Jazz Band
Competition at Cyfartha Park by only half a point.
In 1961 the Treharris Male Voice Choir was
formed. In 1978, after 85 years, the Salvation Army moved from
Webster Street Hall to Perrott Street. In 1985 the Treharris
Community Centre opened. Deep Navigation once employed over
2,000, but when the colliery closed in 1991 it employed less
then 300. In 1994 a £3 million boost was awarded for greening
Treharris and developing the abandoned Deep Navigation Pit into
a leisure site.