Map Page
Page Index
What's New
Contact Us


The Bont


Including Gellifaelog Road


<Click on photograph to enlarge>

The Brewers Arms in the 1970's

(Photograph Courtesy of David Watkins)



  General View, Dowlais. Looking across the Bont, from Penydarren  



Click Here

to travel down

the 1946

Sewer Route




  General View, Dowlais. Looking across the Bont, (with a Fair), from Penydarren

DowlaisTown2.JPG (156985 bytes)

Lower Dowlais looking from Gibsons Row Penydarren.

The Council Skip Yard now occupies the area of the gasometers in the picture. Behind the gasometers is the gradient of the New Road.

Dowlais_FromGibsonsRow_Penydarren_c1900.JPG (90684 bytes)



Gellifaelog School and Penydarren in the 1960's

(Photograph Courtesy of Robert Thomas ex West Grove)

Gellifaelog Shop.
  MerthyrTydfil_Town_174HighStreet_2.JPG (107911 bytes)  
The Bont


The Bont - Aerial Photograph - September 1947

(Photograph Courtesy of Mark Moran)


Coronation Party - Gellifaelog Road 1937 - 38.

(Photograph Courtesy of Mal Harries)


Bont Football Club, Team 1938. - "Champions"

(Photograph by Bryn Harries, courtesy of Mal Harries)



Playing cricket  - 1937

((Photograph by Bryn Harries, Courtesy of Mal Harries)




Keith Watts (left) and friend on the New Road, Dowlais

In the background is the Dowlais Gas Works, looking over the Bont




St Illtyd's Church, Church Hall and School in the early 1960s.

(Photograph courtesy of Gareth Thomas)



Click Here

To Visit

St Illtyd's School

The old St. Illtyd's Girls School.

St. Illtyd's R.C. Church


Corpus Christi 1963

Crossing the Bont towards St Illtyds. There's a few faces that are instantly recognised.



Click Here for

St. Illtyd's Church

and more

Corpus Christi Parade


Bethania Chapel, Bont Schoolroom.

The Wimborne Arms, Dowlais
  Dowlais_TheWinbourneArms.JPG (98495 bytes)


In the middle of this Aerial view, in front of the Brewer's Arms is the site of the old Gellifaelog Bridge, which crossed the Morlais Brook. The Bridge was removed when the brook was  culverted,. Brewery Road and Beech Terrace can be seen, to the left of the Brewers Arms.


This extract from the 1875 OS map shows the position of the old Gellifaelog Bridge that took the main road from Merthyr to Dowlais across the Morlais Brook.


Beech Terrace, Coronation Street Party, 1937-38.

(Photograph by Bryn Harries, courtesy of Mal Harries)

St. Luke's Mission Church.


Gellifealog Flooding Disaster - December 1922

The Morlais Brook culvert overflowed causing a flood which destroyed most of the houses in Mansfield Terrace (Penydarren NOT Mountain Hare)

(Photograph courtesy of the John Owen collection)

Gellifaelog Road - From the bottom of New Road

Penydarren_Gellifaelog.JPG (104419 bytes)



Do you have any photographs or information relating to The Bont, Merthyr Tydfil?

If so, please contact us, by clicking the 'Contact Us' button.