Home
Map Page
Page Index
What's New
Shop
Contact Us

 

Deep Navigation Colliery

Ocean Colliery

Treharris, Merthyr Tydfil

Sunk in 1873, and first known as Harris Navigation, the pit became the deepest mine in the coalfield at 2,280 feet,  with 10 miles of underground railways. Producing a high quality Steam Coal. It was bought by David Davies of Llandinam, who named it Ocean Colliery. After nationalisation in 1947 it finally was named Deep Navigation. The Colliery was eventually closed in 1991.

<Click on the Photograph to Enlarge>

Deep Navigation Colliery 1975

1991

(Photograph Courtesy of the David Thomas Collection)

Treharris_DeepNavigationColliery_30-5-1975.JPG (149394 bytes)

 

'Welcome to Deep Navigation Colliery' - 1991

(Photograph Courtesy of the David Thomas Collection)

  Treharris_DeepNavigationColliery_1903.JPG (160656 bytes)   Treharris_OceanColliery.JPG (189549 bytes)  
 
(Courtesy of Dick Edwards)

 

In May 1963, the original Sheave was removed from the No 1 Pit,  this 21 foot diameter sheave was unusual in as much as it was made from many components riveted together, not cast as they usually are.

In the photograph are Top Left - Glyn 'Cardi' Davies, Top right- Tom 'Screws' Jones and on the ground- Evan ? (Foreman Blacksmith).

(Photograph courtesy of Dick Edwards)

 
 

   
 

This photo, taken may 1961 shows the men that changed the No 1 pit  sheaves.

The No1 pit can be seen in the background and underneath the Headgear, just to the left of Dick Edwards,

is the old Power House, which also supplied electricity to the Lady Windsor Colliery in Ynysybwl.


Back Row L-R:- Dick Edwards, Dai Jones, Doug Gorton, ? , I Hughes.

Middle Row L-R:- Evan (winder), Ron Shankland, Dick James (banksman), Les Woosnam, Rubin Griffiths, Mal Harrison.

Front Row L-R:- Fred Edwards, Glyn Davis, Tom Jones, Ken Lewis, Don Jones.

 

Changing the No. 2 Pit Sheaves on May 21st 1961

(Photographs Courtesy of Dick Edwards)

 

On Top of the No. 2 Pit Headgear - May 21st 1961

L- R:         Fed Edwards, Lorri Hughes Walter Jones (Engineer), Dick Edwards ,Mal Harrison & Evan ? (Foreman Blacksmith)

(Photograph Courtesy of Dick Edwards)

 

Treharris_DeepNavigationColliery_Neg23.JPG (187780 bytes)

No 1 Pit - 1905.

The building on the right is a Cornish Engine House, housing a Beam Engine.

Treharris_DeepNavigationColliery_1905.JPG (178431 bytes)

 

 

Deep Navigation After A Days Work - 1906.

(Photograph courtesy of Billy Phillips)

Treharris_DeepNavigationColliery_C1939_.JPG (135663 bytes)

 

Ocean Deep Navigation Colliery - Colliery Officials

(Photograph Courtesy of Billy Phillips)

 
Ocean Colliery Treharris

 

Deep Navigation.

(Photograph courtesy of Andrew Quick)

Deep Navigation Colliery - 1929

Treharris_colliery_1929.JPG (175077 bytes)

Treharris_colliery_2.JPG (202843 bytes)

Ocean Colliery Baths, opened 1916

Treharris_Oceancolliery_BathsOpened-June-1916.JPG (220398 bytes)

Treharris_OceanColliery_ShowerCubiclesForWorkmen.JPG (162423 bytes)

Baths for the Officials.

Treharris_Oceancolliery_BathsForOfficials.JPG (151661 bytes)

 
Dick Edwards photographs of the Baths
 

 
         
         
     
         
 
 

Miners in the baths.

L-R:- Ken Case, ?, ?.

(Photograph courtesy of Mike)

 
 
 

 

Click Here

to Visit the

Court Royal

Miner's Welfare Hotel

 

Click Here

For Photographs

of the

1984 Miner's Strike

 

 

Do you have any photographs or information relating to Ocean Colliery & Deep Navigation Colliery, Treharris?

If so, please email us, by clicking the 'Contact Us' button.

 

 

To The Treharris Page

Go To

To The Map