'This was the first open space acquired by Merthyr, situated east of
the town, and what was then known as Thomastown Tip. This land
approximately 17 acres in extent and was acquired for the purpose of
a Public Park in 1900. It is very skillfully laid out as a Park and
Pleasure Grounds, full advantage has been taken in the layout of the
natural features, and is now a local beauty spot, attracting many
thousands of visitors during the course of the year.
has extensive flower-beds and borders, shubberies, a playing pitch,
band-stand and conveniances. Later was added a Bowling Green
three hard Tennis Courts. There is also a well equipped Children's
Park is in easy reach of the town and full use is made of all the
amenities provided. Beiing situated on high ground there are fine
views of the surrounding countryside.'
(From the book 'County Borough of Merthyr Tydfil 50
Years a Borough 1905 - 1955')