Tabernacle Baptist Chapel
In 1834 a disagreement occurred at Ebenezer Chapel, Plymouth Street and
54 members of the congregation left, some going to Zion, Twynyrodyn
and some to Penypound in Aberdare.
Because of the distance they had to travel, the worshippers who had
gone to Aberdare decided that they should start their own cause in
Merthyr, and so began worshipping in a room near St Tydfil’s Church.
In 1836 they bought an unfinished chapel in Bryant’s Field, Brecon
Road for £25 and completed it at a cost of £350. By 1842, it was
obvious that the chapel was too small, so a new chapel was built on
the site of the old building at a cost of £2,200. When it was
completed the new chapel was the largest chapel in Wales.
By the 1890’s a
movement was set in motion by Mrs Davies, wife of Alderman David
Davies to provide more comfortable chapel. When Mrs Davies died,
Alderman Davies took up the movement and the building of the chapel
was begun. The new chapel was designed by George Morgan of
Carmarthen and would eventually cost over £5000 to build - a £1000
of which was raised by the congregation. The new chapel was opened
|Tabernacle Chapel Band of Hope - 1942
Back Row L-R: David Raymond, Robert Parry, John
Evans, John Bennet, Roy Owen, Ron Owen, David hudson, Cyril Hughes,
Wyn Roberts, Roy Richards, Jacky Owen, Mr Alfred Hudson (Organist).
Middle Row L-R:
?, Gloria Richards, Marion Bowen, Barbara Davies,
Brenda Morgan, Mary Harrington,
Ann davies, Shirley Riley, Maureen Thomas, Gwenira Owen, June Davies, Nesta
Front Row L-R: Tina Harrington,
?, Wendy parry, Dorothy Cross, Betty Bowen, Gillian Roderick, Gwyneth Fisher, Arnold
Margaret Ralph, Enfys Guy, Ann Williams, Margaret Ann Davies
(Sunday School Teacher)
Information Courtesy of Don & Nesta Chamberlain)
Tabernacle chapel, New
Minister. Rev. David Protheroe, February 1980
L-R:- Harold Evans, Trevor
Evans, Rev. David Protheroe, S. Tegfan Griffiths, Rev. W. T. Pennar Davies,
Rev. Islwyn Davies, Rev. Vaughan Walters.
the Merthyr Express)