Map Page
Page Index
What's New
Contact Us


Traction Yard

Merthyr Tydfil

    The Traction Yard occupied part of the Old Penydarren Ironworks site. It was the main Depot of the Merthyr Electric Traction & Lighting Company and then became home of Morlais Services it is now a small Industrial/Retail Estate occupied by the Welcome School of Motoring, The Woodies Pine shop and the Transport Cafe.

During 2005 it was the home of the Richard Trevithick Exhibition.


The Traction Yard - 1905 - Main depot of the Merthyr Electric Traction & Lighting Company

operators of the local tramcar service, and providers of electricity.

Penydarren_ElectricalWorks_63ViewsOfMerthyrTydfil_1905C.JPG (115560 bytes)


In 2004, Merthyr Tydfil Borough Council with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund opened an exhibition to celebrate the achievements of this great man, Richard Trevthick.

Click Here to Visit the Exhibition