Home
Map Page
Page Index
What's New
Shop
Contact Us

 

Plymouth Ironworks

Merthyr Tydfil

 

In 1763 John Guest and Isaac Wilkinson started the Plymouth Works, on land leased from the Earl of Plymouth, they failed to make it a success, and sold it two years later, to Anthony Bacon,  this was  about  the same time as Bacon built his first furnace at Cyfarthfa. Richard Hill (Bacon's brother-in- law)  was appointed manager of the works. Following Bacon's death in 1786, the works were left to his son's, who then sold it to Richard Hill. The works prospered under Hill's management, the metal produced at Plymouth was considered to be the finest in South Wales. on the death of Richard in 1818, His son Anthony Hill took control of the works. The Bessemer process for converting Pig-Iron into Steel, was first partially developed by Anthony Hill. He died in 1862, and the company was taken over by Messrs. Fothergill, Hankey, and Bateman. This partnership allowed the company to rundown for various reasons, which led to it's closure in 1882

The Plymouth Ironworks was spread over three sites, Plymouth Works where Bakers (Now Evans Halshaw) Garage Was, Pentrebach Forges where the Co-op (Leo's) is, and Duffryn Iron Works where Linde ex (Halla) are today.

MerthyrTydfil_MapTVR_PlymouthIronworks.gif (148708 bytes)

Pentrebach__1954.jpg (409807 bytes)

Pentrebach Forges and Mills

PlymouthColliery_1and2.jpg (220334 bytes)

The Duffryn Ironworks and Plymouth (Duffryn) Colliery in the 1940's

Click Here

To See

 Gilfach yr Encil Farm

Pentrebach_duffrynIronworksAndColliery.JPG (127004 bytes)

Plymouth Colliery in the Early 1960's

(Photograph Courtesy of Barry Morris The Railway Club)

PlymouthColliery_LookingNorth_BarryMorris.JPG (69145 bytes)

The Plymouth Colliery

Troedyrhiw_PlymouthColliery_MrsThomas.JPG (81721 bytes)

Pentrebach_PlymouthColliery_3.JPG (130924 bytes)

Pentrebach_PlymouthColliery_.JPG (151904 bytes)

 
Plymouth Colliery Locomotive

 

Hills Plymouth Colliery Rescue Team - 1915

Back Row L-R:                      Assistant Thomas, Crad. Jones, Ben Morgan, Charles Ingram and Superintendent Thorne.

Front Row L-R:                     John Miles, John Jones (Captain) and Arthur Miles.

(Photograph Courtesy of Brian Jones)

 
Plymouth Colliery - Safety Party - 1921

For Sale

Pentrebach_PlymouthIronworks_Thomas'sTake.JPG (236383 bytes)

 

Click Here to see a

Plymouth Ironworks

Tram Excavation

 

 

Do you have any photographs or information relating to Plymouth Ironworks, Merthyr Tydfil?

If so, please contact us, by clicking the 'Contact Us' button.

 

To Old Merthyr Tydfil's Ironworks