Home
Map Page
Page Index
What's New
Shop
Contact Us

 

Fire Station

Merthyr Tydfil

 

From 1847 the Fire Brigade was the responsibility of the Chief Constable and was manned by the Police Force. In 1908 the engine used by the Fire Service was hand -drawn  and obsolete, housed in Picton Street. There were also two Hose Carts with escapes housed in the Town Hall.

The first motor fire engine was purchased in 1911, from Morris & Sons at Salford at a cost of 950.

 

 
 

Click Here to read the History of the

County Borough of Merthyr Tydfil Fire Brigade

by Mike George

 

 

HB 76 - Merthyr's first motor Fire Engine.

Shown here crossing the new Iron Bridge during the 1911 May Day Parade.

 

 

In 1932 it was sold to an Abergavenny farmer for 13.5s.0d. The engine was replaced by a 6 cylinder 27.3 h.p. Leyland Cub costing 927.10s.0d. Shown below outside the Police Station in Graham Street.

 

(Photograph courtesy of Andrew Owen)
     
 

Merthyr Police Fire Engine Police Sergeant Percy Botting is 3rd from the left (Standing on engine)

Outside the Graham Street Police Station.

 
Merthyr's 3rd New Fire Engine - Merthyr Express 31st January 1953.

 
From the Merthyr Express 16th July 1949.

 

Nasty accident in the High Street, early 1950s.

(Photograph Courtesy of Peter Jones, Dai Jones' son.)

 

From 'The Times' - Monday February 10th 1958

(Courtesy of Robert Wilkinson)

HB 7321 in the 1960s.

An AEC / Merryweather Fire Escape purchased in 1953. Seen here on a training exercise by the river Taff in the 1960s.

 

 

At the Market Square Fire Station , Wellington Street.

(Photograph courtesy of Brian Collins)

 
From The Merthyr Express, early 1970's.

 
Mayor Jack Handley visiting the Fire Station in 1975-76.
   

 

 

 

Mid Glamorgan Fire Service, 1980s.

Back Row L-R:- ?, Gerald James (Leading Fireman), ?

Front Row L-R:- Brendan Twoomey, ?.

(Thanks to Idwal Peters for the names)

 

Mid Glamorgan Fire Service Late 1980s

L-R:- Peter Hughes, Ray Jones, Gerald Wade, Idwal Peters (Driver), Mervyn Evans, John Goggin.

(Photograph courtesy of Idwal Peters)

 

Merthyr Tydfil Fire Service Personnel. early 1980s - With Kath the Cook on the End.

(Photograph courtesy of Idwal Peters)

 

Mid Glamorgan Fire Service early 1980s

Idwal Peters on the pump in a drill compettion

(Photograph courtesy of Idwal Peters)

 

 

Mid Glam Fire Service 1980s

Back Row L-R:- .Bernie Gittoes. Idwal Peters.

Front Row L-R:- Gary Murphy. Eric Haines.

(Photograph courtesy of Idwal Peters)

 

Mid Glam Fire Service 1980s

L-R:- Idwel Peters, G Murphy, J Goggin, E. Haines.

Photograph courtesy of Idwal Peters)

 

 

 

 
         

 

On a drill night with the old Mid Glamorgan Fire Service - 1980s

Scania-Saxon H482OWO. Idwal Peters in the back of the Fire Engine.

(Photograph courtesy of Idwal Peters)

 

Idwal Peters on a drill night with the old Mid Glamorgan Fire Service - 1980s

(Photograph courtesy of Idwal Peters)

 

 

 

 
         

 

Mid Glam Fire Service 1980s

Idwal Peters being presented with a Plaque by Officer John Davies.

(Photograph courtesy of Idwal Peters)

 

Mid Glam Fire Service 1980s

Brian Kinnear.& Idwal Peters. with Scania-Saxon H482OWO.

(Photograph courtesy of Idwal Peters)

 

 

 
         
         
 
 
 

Click Here to read the History of the

County Borough of Merthyr Tydfil Fire Brigade

by Mike George

 
     

Do you have any photographs or information for this page?

If so, please email us, by clicking the 'Contact Us' button.

 

To Map Map