BETHANIA CHAPEL, DOWLAIS
When John Josiah Guest arrived in Dowlais and expanded the Dowlais
Works, the population increased to an extent that the need arose
for the Independent worshippers in Dowlais to have their own
chapel. The old Bethel Chapel became vacant in 1822 so services
could be held there on Sunday evenings.
Jones of Bethesda was instrumental in starting the cause in
Dowlais and he had oversight of the congregation for a time
until he had a difference of opinion with some of the
congregation and left them. Rev Samuel Evans of Zoar then took
over the care of the congregation.
Within a year however, it was realised that the small Bethel
Chapel was not adequate for the congregation, so land was found
and a small chapel was built in 1823 for the cost of £444 and
called Bethania. The chapel was rebuilt in 1827 and 1838.