Map Page
Page Index
What's New
Contact Us


Castle Colliery

Troedyrhiw, Merthyr Tydfil


One of the Crawshay's Cyfarthfa Collieries, sunk 330yds in 1866 especially for sale coal for export.

Castle Colliery Troedyrhiw

(Ernest T. Bush Postcard No. 2726)

Castle Colliery

Castle Colliery


Miners from Castle Pit

2nd from right is Thomas John Jones.

(Photograph from the Merthyr Express 21st June 1979)


Castle Colliery Miners and Horses

(Photograph courtesy of Derek Broad)

Rhymney Railway engine at Castle Pit


Crawshay's Cyfarthfa Merthyr Upper 4 feet Smokeless Steam Coal Wagon. 1910.

(Photograph courtesy of the John Owen Collection)

Castle Pit - 88lb Steam



Castle Pit Miners Band

From the Merthyr Express



The Front of the Shaft-House has stone enscribed R.C.1868.

(Photograph Courtesy of the John Owen Collection)



Castle Pits North Signal Box. 1935.

(Photograph Courtesy of the John Owen Collection)

Castle Pit Ruins- 1952



Castle Colliery Headgear

Prior to demolition in the 1970's.

(Photograph Courtesy of Colin Minard)


Do you have any photographs or information about Castle Colliery, Troedyrhiw?

If so, please email us, by clicking the 'Contact Us' button.


To Bridge Street, Troedyrhiw