Map Page
Page Index
What's New
Contact Us


Carmel Chapel

Clwydyfagwr, Merthyr Tydfil




The cause at Carmel started in 1823 when members from Moriah Chapel, Cefn Coed started meeting in the house of Mr and Mrs Thomas Thomas, with the minister from Moriah Chapel visiting to take the services.


By 1840 the growing congregation decided to build their own chapel, so a piece of land was acquired for 10 shillings per annum ground rent, and a small chapel seating 150 was built. Two members of the congregation - Jackie Price and William Smith each built a house adjoining the chapel, and a Sunday school was held in these houses.


By 1868, the chapel was too small and a new one was built, with the old chapel being converted to houses. Again the congregation increased so a larger chapel was needed, so in 1902 the present chapel was built.

Steve Brewer


Carmel Chapel

(Photograph Courtesy of Carl Llewellyn)


Interior Views of Carmel Chapel

(Photograph courtesy of Brian Collins)


Carmel Chapel - Sunday School - 1893

(Photograph Courtesy of Sandra Page)


Do you have any photographs or information relating to Carmel Chapel, Clwydyfagwr, Merthyr Tydfil?

If so, please contact us, by clicking the 'Contact Us' button.


To Clwydyfagwr